Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Dirt Bandit and my new best friends

The home directly behind us has two rottweilers, this crazy dog fortress (read: a series of connected sheds), and what has appeared to be a garden. We suspected that the two households to the right of that home also contained avid gardeners and this week, our suspicions were confirmed.

We've got a great view from our kitchen windows of the backyards and have spent many a night spying. We obviously can't see the front of the homes and we've never met their owners but it doesn't matter: I wanna be besties with these people.

Yesterday morning, I woke up to find the yards of the three houses looking like this:



When I first saw it, I immediately assumed that during the night, someone had come and dumped dirt on the yards, spread it out evenly, and fled. A dirt bandit! It wasn't until later last night when one of our friends suggested, "Do you think maybe they just overturned the soil?"

Man, I felt dumb. Feel dumb. Present tense.



As a girl who often begins stories with, "When I lived on the farm..." I failed miserably at deciphering this simple reality. I am shamed, deeply, and must never let my new best friends know that I'm such a goon.

As you can see from the photos, one of the yards has already been worked. I can't wait to see what pops up--literally, hahaha so funny--this summer. We'll keep you posted.

No comments: