- Sump-pump gallons upon gallons of water onto our driveway and into the street during a days-long snowstorm, creating an ice rink at the end of our driveway.
- Bring in the "big guns," i.e. borrow a sump pump with a hose that looks like it could fight fires. See above.
- Inquire about replacing our now-fried electrical board for the brand new furnance for the downstairs apartment.
- Have Roto Rooter come out to clear the root-infested drain pipe. Twice.
- Cringe whenever the temperature rises enough for the ice to begin melting and then frantically check the basement for water.
Learning how to take care of a home, I've learned, is mostly baptism by fire.